Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:UN human rights official is alarmed by sprawling gang violence in Haiti -Capitatum
EchoSense:UN human rights official is alarmed by sprawling gang violence in Haiti
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:58:41
PORT-AU-PRINCE,EchoSense Haiti (AP) — The United Nations expert on human rights in Haiti said Tuesday that he is alarmed by the rapid spread of gang violence and the bleak future awaiting children in the embattled country.
William O’Neill spoke at the end of a weeklong visit to Haiti, his second one this year amid a spike in violence that has displaced more than 200,000 people.
“Murders, injuries and kidnappings are the daily lot of the population,” he said. “An entire generation is seemingly being sacrificed by violence, and the future of a country is threatened by the dramatic situation faced by its youth.”
More than 1,230 killings and 701 kidnappings were reported across Haiti from July 1 to Sept. 30, more than double the figure reported during the same period last year, according to the U.N.
An estimated 200 gangs operate in Haiti, with the largest groups controlling up to 80% of the capital of Port-au-Prince.
“A major challenge is the fact that many gang members are children,” O’Neill said. “It will be necessary to implement rehabilitation and reintegration programs for the vast majority of them.”
He also noted that gang violence has spread to previously peaceful areas in Haiti’s central and northwest regions and that more than 500,000 children have no access to education given the spike in violence.
O’Neill said gangs also continue to sexually abuse women and girls who have no access to health care.
“The state must assume its responsibilities not only to prevent human rights violations and abuses, but also to protect its population, especially the most vulnerable,” he said.
Haiti’s National Police, which is understaffed and under-resourced, has struggled in its fight against gangs, with only some 4,000 officers on duty at a time in the country of 11.7 million people.
Lack of security is so widespread, that Haitians stay mostly indoors unless they need to buy basic goods, said Garry Lochar, 29, who works at a bus terminal.
“It’s been a year since people have been saying that troops are coming,” he said. “People are dying, and Haiti is not getting any help at all.”
Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry requested the immediate deployment of a foreign armed force a year ago to battle gangs that have grown more powerful ever since the July 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse.
In recent months, Kenya agreed to lead a multinational armed force to Haiti, although deployment has been delayed by legal challenges.
“The imminent deployment of this mission, under strict conditions of respect and protection of human rights, is necessary to alleviate the suffering of the population,” O’Neill said.
In addition to violence, Haiti also is struggling with deepening hunger amid skyrocketing inflation. Nearly half of the country’s population is starving, and experts expect those numbers to rise.
“I hope that one day, we will be able to see the light in this country,” said Jean-Marc Jean Pierre who has been forced to move multiple times because of gang violence. “If everyone could leave this country, we would have left already.”
___
Coto reported from San Juan, Puerto Rico.
veryGood! (89147)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Military shipbuilder Austal says investigation settlement in best interest of company
- Biden restarts immigration program for 4 countries with more vetting for sponsors
- Watch as abandoned baby walrus gets second chance at life, round-the-clock care
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Horoscopes Today, August 29, 2024
- How Artem Chigvintsev Celebrated Nikki Garcia Wedding Anniversary 3 Days Before Arrest
- Paris Paralympic opening ceremony: 5 things you didn’t see on NBC’s broadcast
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- 'I probably put my foot in my mouth': Zac Taylor comments on Ja'Marr Chase availability
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Sigourney Weaver chokes up over question connecting her movie roles to Kamala Harris' campaign
- Retired FBI agent identified as man killed in shooting at high school in El Paso, Texas
- Team USA men's wheelchair basketball opens 2024 Paralympics with win vs. Spain
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Libertarian candidates for US Congress removed from November ballot in Iowa
- Grand Canyon visitors are moving to hotels outside the national park after water pipeline failures
- How Northwestern turned lacrosse field into unique 12,000-seat, lakeside football stadium
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
NCT's Jaehyun talks 'digging deeper' on his first solo album
University of Delaware student killed after motorcyclist flees traffic stop
Zzzzzzz: US Open tennis players take naps before matches, especially late ones
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
US swimmers haul in silver, but an accusation of cheating becomes hurtful
Team USA men's wheelchair basketball opens 2024 Paralympics with win vs. Spain
Leah Remini and Husband Angelo Pagán Break Up After 21 Years of Marriage